Other Interests

Diversity and Inclusion

As an advocate and champion for women and diversity within the sciences, I have a huge passion for communicating science and inspiring more young people to pursue STEM careers. Being the first in my family to go to University, I have devoted both my professional career and personal time to inspiring and engaging young people from disadvantaged groups to pursue higher education and raise their aspirations.

As a senior teaching fellow at Imperial College London, and honorary fellow of the University of Liverpool, a large part of my role involves leading initiatives to improve the numbers of women and minority groups studying maths and computing. With my background in youthwork, I value the importance of equal opportunity within education.

I am proud to have partnered with family-run clothing business IOLa & EFFi in their campaign to empower girls and women through STEM clothing – changing the conversation about what it means to be a girl through clothing with empowering social messaging.

STEM Ambassador / Space Ambassador

Having delivered over 200 talks and workshops to children, young people and under-served communities, I am passionately dedicated to challenging negative preconceptions and changing people’s beliefs that science isn’t for them. I have project managed STEM programmes both regionally and nationally that promote equal access to and the enjoyment of science and engineering.

In 2017 I took part in the BBC science production ‘Astronauts: Do You Have What It Takes?’. Selected from over 3,000 applicants to take part in and undertake tests similar to those used in the astronaut selection process at major space agencies, I have continued to train following filming and hope to apply when the European Space Agency next invite applications.

Voluntary and Ambassadorial Work

I am an Ambassador of the UK’s leading aviation charity Fly2Help. Fly2help uses the inspirational experience of flight to:

• Improve the emotional wellbeing of children and adults coping with physical disabilities, distress, anxiety or isolation by arranging experience days centred around flights in small aircraft.
  • Encourage young people to consider future careers in the aviation industry by running week-long scholarship programmes and an alumni network.
  • Raise the self-esteem and confidence of disadvantaged young people by running taster days and mentoring programmes
  • Enable individuals and organisations with an interest in aviation to participate in and support our work so that more people can benefit.

I am also a trustee of Walton Youth and Community Project – a charity based in my home town (Walton, North Liverpool) that supports young people and their families in the local and wider community. All young people have potential, and Walton Youth and Community Project staff and volunteers help raise aspirations by developing positive and meaningful relationships with young people and the local community. Having worked at Walton Youth and Community Project as a Young Person’s Development Worker for over 11 years I am honoured to be able to continue this work in a new capacity.

Hobbies and Interests

• Flying: PPL (h) – Robinson R22 Helicopter
  • Languages: Russian A2/B1 (Intermediate), Portuguese A2/B1 (Intermediate), BSL (Level 1)
  • STEM: Particle Physics, Science engagement
  • Sport and Fitness: Swimming, Dancing, Cheerleading (Lv 1, 2 and 3 competitive), Yoga
  • Outdoor: Rock Climbing, Hill Walking, Sailing
  • Space Science and Engineering