Ivana Tomic is currently working as a Research Associate in the AESE group at Imperial College London. She received her PhD in Control Theory from City, University of London in October 2016 where she worked on the implementation of distributed control algorithms in multi-agent networks. Her research interests include security of cyber-physical systems and IoT, distributed aperiodic control communications protocols and their impact on security, and optimal control.
She is currently researching security vulnerabilities for aperiodic control protocols with wide-area communications as a part of S4 project (EPSRC Programme Grant) and Fog to FIELD project funded by CISCO/Silicon Valley Community Foundation.
Prior to this she was a main researcher on PETRAS project IoT in the Park funded by EPSRC where she looked into security of wireless sensor networks and IoT architectures. The milestones achieved are:
- Establishment of the sensor operating system support required to enable the run-time security of low-resourced IoT systems such that their performance and behaviours are not impaired.
- A deep-dive into security mechanisms and their effects on the most popular IoT protocols and standards.
- A lightweight fully-distributed security solution which enables the sensor system to both identify common attacks and maintain operation under attack scenarios.
- I. Tomić, L. Bhatia, M. Breza, J. A. McCann, “The Limits of LoRaWAN in Event-Triggered Wireless Networked Control Systems”, Accepted, June 2018.
- I. Tomić, M. Breza, G. Jackson, L. Bhatia, J. A. McCann, “Design and Evaluation of Jamming Resilient Cyber-Physical Systems”, Accepted, May 2018.
- M. Breza, I. Tomić, and J. McCann, “Failures from the Environment, a Report on the First FAILSAFE workshop“, SIGCOMM Comput. Commun. Rev. 48, 2, pp. 40-45, 2018.
- I. Tomić and J. A. McCann, “A Survey of Potential Security Issues in Existing Wireless Sensor Network Protocols”, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1910-1923, 2017.
- RIPE 75 Meeting, IoT Session, “Trusted Routing in the Internet of Things”, Dubai, October 2017. Video
- Invited Talk “Security of the Internet of Things”, PETRAS IoT Research Hub Workshop – Security and New Threats in Healthcare, Imperial College London, June 2017.
- SEE 6/RIPE NCC Regional Meeting “IoT Turning Evil”, Budva, Montenegro, June 2017. Video Blog
- Invited talk “Distributed control of multi-agent networks and their application to IoT” – Sensors & their Applications XVIII Conference, Institute of Physics, Queen Mary University of London, Sept. 2016.