Marc joined the Department of Computing as a Research Fellow in September 2013. From December 2011 to August 2013 he has been a Senior Research Scientist & Group Leader (Learning for Control) at TU Darmstadt (Germany). Marc is still adjunct researcher at TU Darmstadt. From February 2010 to December 2011, Marc has been a full-time Research Associate at the University of Washington (Seattle). Marc completed his PhD at the Karlsruhe Institute for Technology (Germany). Marc conducted his PhD research at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics (2006–2007) and at the University of Cambridge (2007–2009).
Marc’s research interests center around methodologies from modern Bayesian machine learning and their application autonomous control and robotic systems. Marc’s goal is to increase the level of autonomy in current robotic and control systems by modeling and accounting for uncertainty in a principled way. Potential applications include intelligent prostheses, autonomous robots, and healthcare assistants.
- Gaussian Processes for Data-Efficient Learning in Robotics and Control, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 2014
- Robust Filtering and Smoothing with Gaussian Processes, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 2012
- Expectation Propagation in Gaussian Process Dynamical Systems, NIPS, 2012
- Gaussian Process Dynamic Programming, Neurocomputing, 2009
- A General Perspective on Gaussian Filtering and Smoothing, ACC, 2011
- A Survey on Policy Search for Robotics, NOW Publishers, 2013
- Probabilistic Movement Modeling for Intention-based Decision Making, International Journal of Robotics Research, 2013
A summary can be found here.
Prizes and Awards
Imperial College Junior Research Fellowship Award (2014)
NIPS-2013 Best Reviewer Award
Outreach and Public Understanding of Science
Imperial College Science Festival (2014)
University of Washington Industrial Affiliates (2010, 2011)
Intel Labs Open House (2010). Check out the Seattle Times video and the article in the Puget Sound Business Journal.
Keynotes and Plenary Talks
Service to the Research Community
2013: Workshops Chair of the Robotics: Science & Systems Conference (RSS)
2013: Co-Organizer of the International Symposium on Adaptive Motion of Animals and Machines (AMAM)
2012: Program Chair of the European Workshop on Reinforcement Learning (EWRL)
2013: NIPS workshop on Advances in Machine Learning for Sensorimotor Control
2009: NIPS workshop on Probabilistic Approaches for Robotics and Control
Area Chair and Associate Editor
Program Committee Memberships
2013: ADPRL, IJCAI, RSS
2012: ACML, ECML/PKDD, ICPRAM, RSS
2010: AAAI, RSS
2014: AISTATS, ICML, MLJ, NIPS, RAS
2013: ICRA, IROS, KI Magazine, MLJ, NIPS, Springer
2012: AISTATS, Humanoids, ICML, IEEE-TPAMI, NIPS, Springer
2011: CDC, ECC, ICML, ICRA, IROS, MLJ, NIPS
2010: ACC, AISTATS, IJRR
2009: AURO, CDC, ICML, ICRA, SCI, IEEE-TPAMI
2008: Adaptive Behavior, IPSN, NIPS, RO-MAN
2007: IEE Electronic Letters
I also frequently review grant proposals for various societies.